5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is derived from a small woody plant, native of the African continent. Its seeds naturally contain up to twenty percent of 5-HTP. Besides taking it as a supplement, 5-HTP is found naturally in our bodies. It is produced from breaking down the Tryptophan amino acid in our liver. Tryptophan can be obtained from eggs, beans, red meat, poultry, lentils, beans, and chickpeas. 5-HTP supplements are usually used for relieving stress and improving mood. 5-HTP has also shown good results battling against depression and anxiety, but one important thing to remember is that it should be never used together with other antidepressant medication, as it can lead to potentially fatal consequences.
Effect Mechanism of 5-HTP
5-HTP is essential for the synthesis of the neurotransmitter called Serotonin, which is vital for regulation of mood, behavior, and sleep. After 5-HTP enters the bloodstream it crosses the blood-brain barrier where it gets converted into Serotonin. An interesting fact is that Serotonin cannot cross the blood-brain barrier, so that is why taking 5-HTP supplements is ideal for increasing Serotonin levels in the brain. The supplements of 5-HTP also have great nootropic effects and provide numerous benefits in boosting cognitive performances and enhancing the mood.
Effects and Benefits of 5-HTP as a Nootropic
Today, mood enhancement is what people mostly use 5-HTP supplements for. This supplement has shown some good effects in improving the main symptoms of depression. Some studies have shown that taking doses of up to four hundred milligrams per day for two months had similar effects on reducing the depression symptoms like taking Prozac. Other studies have pointed out that 5-HTP works in a similar way as Luvox and Tofranil in dealing with depression symptoms.
Effects and Benefits of 5-HTP in Nootropic Stacks
For some people, low levels of Serotonin lead to headaches and migraines. That is where 5-HTP can help when added to the nootropic stacks. The correct dosage of 5-HTP supplements largely depends on several factors like the age of the user, overall health condition, weight, and the main reason for taking this supplement. Some nootropic experts suggest taking doses between fifty and one hundred milligrams of 5-HTP, one to three times per day. You can start with lower doses of fifty milligrams, three times a day, and then gradually increase this dosage. A thing to remember is that taking bigger doses does not always mean better results. It is not recommended to take more than five hundred milligrams of 5-HTP per day. Side effects of 5-HTP are mild, but in the rare occasions it may cause nausea, stomach pain, or diarrhea.
Stacking 5-HTP in nootropic stacks contributes towards bigger and better cognitive functions, and it shows best results when stacked with nootropics like L-Tyrosine. The combination of 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine is good for enhancing the mood and eliminating anxiety and stress. As mentioned, start with 50 mg of 5-HTP in your doses, and if there are no negative side effects, continue with gradually increasing the doses to up to three hundred milligrams per day for best results. Those that treat symptoms of anxiety and clinical depression should take doses between 100-300 mg per day.
- Noopept, A Powerful Smart Drug
- Modafinil – The ‘Limitless’ Smart Drug
- ALCAR (Acetyl L-Carnitine), The King Of Nootropics
- Alpha-GPC – The Nootropic Substance To Increase Energy Levels And Improve Your Memory
- The benefits and drawbacks of N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine
- Huperzine A – As A Powerful Brain Enhancer
- Piracetam – The Nootropic Substance To Boost Your Brain Power
- The Benefits Of Supplementation With L-Theanine
- Caffeine in Nootropic Stacks
- The Racetam Family: Piracetam vs. Aniracetam vs. Oxiracetam
- Modafinil vs. Adrafinil vs. Armodafinil – Comparison of the ‘Limitless’ Nootropics & Their Effects
- The effects of Bacopa Monnieri in Nootropic Stacks
- Vinpocetine – Effects, Benefits, Dosage & Side Effects in Nootropic Stacks
- The Effects of Ginkgo Biloba in Nootropic Stacks
- Effects & Benefits of Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) in Nootropic Stacks
- Folic Acid as a Nootropic Supplement
- Effects of Choline Bitartrate in Nootropic Stacks
- Phenylalanine in Nootropic Stacks
- Effect and Benefits of Phosphatidylserine in Nootropic Stacks
- What is L-TRYPTOPHAN – And Its Effects in Nootropic Stacks
- Effects and benefits of 5-HTP and why it’s a useful additive to nootropic stacks
- Effects & Benefits of Panax Ginseng in Nootropic Stacks
- CDP Choline used as a Nootropic substance
- The Effects & Benefits of ELEUTHERO ROOT EXTRACT in Nootropic Stacks
- Effects & Benefits of DL-ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID and why it’s a useful additive to your nootropic stack
- The Effects and Benefits of Dimethylaminoethanol Bitartrate (DMAE Bitartrate) in a Nootropic Stack